Tuesday, November 8, 2011

How to Go Forward

There won't be any fancy pictures or play on words today.  It has been an energy draining day, and when you don't have much energy to begin with, you must forgive me if I cannot bring myself to use more than I need.
I would like to give the facts but honestly I am not sure how much more I know.  When we walked into the doctor's office he said "well I have the results of the MRI and I am not sure that we are any further ahead than we were before." Let me explain what he meant by that. There were two sites on the scan where there was non-specific change in the white matter of the brain (same as before) but they had not changed and there were no new sites.  The doctor felt that if it was MS there would have been some change.  I asked how much change was possible in only three months (the timing of the last MRI) and he did not know but felt there should have been some.  I will have another MRI in a year to see if anything has changed.
We discussed Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome (CFIDS) admittedly I was the one to bring it to the table but the doctor thought it could be a possibility.  It is a diagnosis through elimination, so once every option is exhausted CFIDS may be the diagnosis.
There were tears today.  When I inquired about MS further, Landy did respond by asking if I wanted it to be MS (I understand his response comes from a place of love and concern) and all I could say was that I did not want this to be dismissed just because it was not MS. I want to be seen as legitimate and valid because I do not feel "well" and I am trying to function as "well."  There is no way of externalizing what I am experiencing but at times I wish I could.  When people cannot see the illness it can be very easy to be dimissive of the impact it is having at any given moment.  I want answers because not knowing really sucks.
But enough of my soap box.  I most likely do not have MS and I will be able to be more definitive in a year.  We are doing more testing for viral causes and the doctor is treating me for CFIDS with a low dosage of tetracyclic medication that has been proven to help in CFIDS cases.
That is how much I know for now.  I wish it was more but we know more today than yesterday.  Thanks for the love and support.  It does help, truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment