Tuesday, October 25, 2011

There is a date

I have an appointment for me MRI.  After a weekend of ups and downs it came as a shock and a relief that my appointment is only six days away.  The prospect of having results in as few as three weeks is positive and a little intimidating.
This weekend I had my convocation for my undergraduate degree and the build up to the day was fraught with vertigo and "funny feelings."  Admittedly knowing very little about anxiety and in no way diminshing its impact, I felt like the textbook for anxiety last week.  The days of anticipating my graduation were far worse than the actual day which was almost "symptom" free.
The day after convocation was a different story.  The vertigo was back with a vengence making me feel nauseous and weak. The buzzing had returned and before retiring for bed I experienced blurriness in my vision.  I started to wonder again how much of my experience was real and how much was psychosomatic.  I cannot shut off symptoms for one day, can I? (in saying that I hasten to delete it because I don't want to minimalize the reality of the other days of the week, it is a constant balance).
I try not to read anything about anxiety or MS right now because I am afraid of being easily influenced by the literature and possibly live the new "symptoms."  Conversely, I am acutely aware that I seem to acquire new "symptoms" weekly.  That cannot be normal for anxiety or MS, can it?

I think I give my mind and body more credit than either deserve and possibly it is a way that I am trying to assume more control over my situation.  After all it sucks to believe that you are not in control of your mind, your body or how either determine your health.
Today I am numb in my right nostril and the right side of my top lip.  It is so bizzare but I have been sticking my finger up my nose all day and yep it is numb.
It is also today that I decided that this has to be anxiety.  I am not sure whether I am prepared for it to be anything else and I am not sure that I am prepared to get answers.  Funny how just 3 days ago that was all I wanted and now that it is a looming reality, answers are the very thing that I am frightened of.  I feel like a walking contradication.  Isn't the mind a wonderful thing?

4 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and hoping for the best! If you need anything just let me know! - Sarah Michelle Ogden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you positive intentions and outcomes. I echo Sarah's sentiments, if you need support, we are here :) - Sunna Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that it's a date of mixed emotions, but I hope that answers will provide some direction.

    Crossing my crossables and will be available on text/cell standby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you've finally got a date... here's hoping it leads to the answers you're looking for. xoxo

    ReplyDelete