Monday, October 24, 2011

Who is Afraid of the Dark?

Last Wednesday evening I was sitting behind my computer working when I started to feel "different."  It began with an electric buzzing that moved up the back of my neck and stretched out over my scalp.  It wasn't painful but I could not will it to stop. The buzzing was not audible and I am sure that to the external eye I was not moving but I felt like a static vibration was jumping from one nerve to another.
By the time I was ready for bed the tingling was spreading like a web of electricity over the back of my head and through to my ears making them feel hot and itchy.  I was not fully over the virus in my eyes and so they felt heavy and dry as well creating a familiar sensation.  I began to panic and so I woke up Landy.

"I do not want to go to sleep, I feel funny and I am afraid that I will wake up the way I did a few weeks ago!"
To which Landy sleepily replied, "well you can't stay awake all night that will not help."
I realized that and a completely helpless feeling overcame me.  I am not in control.
"I have to do something, I cannot wake up like that again."

By now Landy had fallen back asleep.  I really wanted to be angry with him.  At the same time how could he possibly understand how I felt?  Some experiences are common to almost everyone like laughing, smiling and crying but vertigo, "buzzing" and tingling they are not everyones lived experience.  Landy is usually very sympathetic but to be fair that evening I had not conveyed how afraid I really was and he could not see what I was experiencing.
I decided to take a sleep aid (practical but not something I want to do on a regular basis) to ensure that I got some rest and was asleep within minutes.
Unfortunately I woke up with the same feeling in addition to vertigo.  FANTASTIC.  Most of the time I can function if the vertigo is minor, similar to the feeling you get when you have not slept in 24 hours.  That morning the vertigo felt more like I was walking on the deck of a ship in choppy water.  Still, I had so much work to do and I did not want to get behind, I decided to go to school.  Have I mentioned that I am trying to manage these symptoms while attending a Master's program?
I made it at school until 11am.  The vertigo, while sitting in class, transformed my head into a helium balloon.  I felt like I was watching the class from a higher vantage point and now the sensation beneath my feet was like walking on a cloud.  It is so weird to have to tell yourself that what you are feeling is not real and to try to ground your cognitive mind.  I spent the next 30 minutes in a school washroom trying to get my stomach to stop reacting to the vertigo in my head.  I needed to get home where I could lie down.
Driving is a challenge when you are not feeling well. I did not know how I was going to get home so I used my Blue Tooth to call Landy and asked him to talk to me while I drove.  I do not advocate being distracted while driving but in this situation I needed someone to help me remain calm for the next 20 minutes.
I only talked to Landy for about two minutes, it turned out I just needed a good cry.   

"I just want answers, I don't want to feel like this anymore.  If this is anxiety I want the medication that will make it stop!  I want them to call with my appointment for the MRI. I hate this!"
All Landy could say was "I know."

I got into my house just in time and would spend the rest of the day and night on the couch.  By the evening the feeling had subsided and I could go to bed with much less anxiety and fear.

I may not be afraid of the dark but like most people I have a fear of the unknown. I am beginning to feel anxious and want to start finding answers because there are a lot of questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment