Saturday, October 1, 2011

Confusing the Patient

Question.  How many doctors does it take to confuse a patient?
Answer.  Just one.
I went for my bi-annual optometrist appointment yesterday.
During my meeting with my family doctor, earlier this week, I asked him if I should mention my recent experience with Optic Neuritis to the Optometrist and he felt that it couldn't hurt. 
Background Info: This is a new Optometrist to me, my previous one is retired, so I am going into this appointment with no knowledge of his personality or expectations about his abilities.

My appointment started as it should, with general information questions and then it moved into any concerns I may have before we started the exam.  I told the Optometrist that my doctor had diagnosed me with Optic Neuritis and I was wondering..... HOLD ON!  I did not get any further, the doctor asked me if I could see right now and then he said "I am positive that you do not have Optic Neuritis.  Why would your doctor tell you that?"  So I told this doctor what happened.  It is probably time to be more specific to the events of that day here too.  Here is the whole story:
Two weeks ago I was awoken suddenly at 5am in the morning.  I don't know why but I was definitely startled awake and when I opened my eyes they began moving rapidly up and down causing the whole room to appear in quadruplet (at least) and in a circular motion in front of me.  I could not get my eyes to stop moving and was instantly dizzy and nauseous.  I screamed for Landy to wake up because I had to be sick and I could not orient which way was up or down.  He tried to help me but I could only walk on a 45 degree angle because the ground felt like it was shifting below my feet. He ended up dragging me to the washroom. Once I had been sick and my eyes had stopped moving I opened up my eyes only to see through snow, similar to the picture below, (ignore the caption, I am not trying to self diagnose) the snow was only in one eye, my other eye was clear.
source
I was absolutely terrified that I was having a stroke and so I smiled for Landy but everything was normal (in a stroke the smile would be drooping).  I told Landy I was afraid that I may have had a seizure or possibly be suffering with an aneurysm, I was positive something was wrong.  Landy took me to the doctor and after relaying my story the doctor asked if this episode with my eyes had been followed by a headache or pain in my head?  The answer was no.
This is the information that I shared with the Optometrist before starting my exam.  I also told him that I was scheduled for a MS protocol MRI and asked if he had any thoughts if it could be something with my eyes instead or if he could see my optic nerve.  The doctor was very nice and he did a thorough exam.  He called the rapid eye movements, Nystagmus, and suggested that they had nothing to do with Optic Neuritis.  He said that my optic nerve was bright pink and tight which was indicative of a healthy nerve and that Optic Neuritis would result in a pale, limp nerve.  In his professional opinion, my description of the events sounded more like someone suffering from an ocular migraine.  He was not 100% sure of this diagnosis because if usually causes temporary blindness, does not stay in just one eye and does not result in nystagmus.
Of course my first doctor had mentioned a type of migraine that included rapid eye movement and severe vertigo, it is called a basilar migraine, but he ruled it out because I had not experienced any pain.
The Optometrist then suggested that this could come from an inner ear problem.  Of course I have already seen an otolaryngologist (ear, nose and throat doctor) and my original MRI ruled out any explanation due to inner ear damage.
So that brings us right back to the beginning.  My Optometrist believes that the best course of action is to get the MS protocol MRI because he believes that it could be neurological.  He is very interested to find out the results and even asked me to call his office and come right in if I have the eye disturbance again (he would like to see my eyes right after it happens).
As I left the office the Optometrist said to me "I think you are going to create a lot of confusion for the medical field before you get answers."  Story of my Life!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe he said that last bit to you! It almost makes me laugh except that your journey sounds so frustrating!

    Hang in there, girly.
    xo

    ReplyDelete